Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Growing Up

I had so much fun doing this bedroom!  My client was my 9 year old daughter, and I loved every minute that we got to work together putting together a space that was uniquely hers.  I love that she got so excited over every decision that we made, and she loved being involved in the process.  I think this feels just like her personality, calm with an element of pizazz!  All photos taken were by the amazing Ashlee Raubach.

This roman shade is one of the first things that catches your eye when you walk into her room, and I wanted it to be fun and young.  I had my eye on that flame stitch fabric for quite a while, and knew this was the perfect place to use it.  I have the most amazing seamstress who always delivers such a beautiful finished product.  You know what they say, window treatments are the "earrings" of the room!


My daughter is quite the artist.  She did this self portrait over the summer and it has now become one of my prized possessions.   The black frame above it on the wall was my grandmothers.  I have waited a long time to find the perfect piece of art worthy of to put in it.  I love how the chunky frame transforms the delicate pencil sketch. 

This is a small room, and I wanted the bed to be the focal point.  I found this velvet fabric in such a fun color and had the headboard custom made.  I also had the pillows custom made with another favorite fabric.  The bedding I found on Ebay.

Make it personal.  Surround yourself with things that mean something to you.   A family member commissioned this sketch of our daughter as a baby, and I am in love.   Another prized possession. 

I love collections of anything.  Collections can be powerful and make such a statement.  I saw the colorful fabric "I" from Anthropologie and it sparked an idea of creating a collections of I's (my daughter's first initial).  I found a few vintage initials but wanted something a little more unique so I made a couple of them myself.

I think people can get overwhelmed by the idea of art because they immediately think of expensive and hard to get pieces.  I have found fabulous, affordable art from a variety of sources that can make a wall pop and add interest to a room.  I found these three ladies on Etsy and instantly fell in love.  I got three Ikea ribba frames and painted them gold...easy and affordable!

For me, it's all in the details.  Sometimes the smallest items in a room can make a big and wonderful impact!

No comments:

Post a Comment