Friday, October 7, 2011

before and after


  This was our home 6 years ago when we bought it.  I loved it, but knew it had not yet reached its full potential.  We live in a charming, historic neighborhood and I wanted our remodel to reflect the style and architecture of the area. 

This is our home now, and I love it!  
Here's the dish on what we did:  
   


  Our goal was to get our home back to its original Cape Cod roots.  To do this, we started by adding white trim around the windows to give a crisp, clean look.  We also removed the window boxes and shutters to unclutter the home and focus on the frame.  We replaced the windows, which made our heating and air-conditioning bills much more affordable.  
Isn't my dog, Patton, cute?



 We replaced the old aluminum siding with hardiplank and painted it Rare Grey, by Sherwin Williams.  This color is amazing and makes the white pop.  I was sad to see the built-in benches on the front porch go, but wanted pillars that framed the porch and gave it more dimension.

 
A front door makes a statement about your home.  We got rid of the blue front door and the storm door to give a more sophisticated feel.  We went with a solid wood door and stained it in a warm mahogany.  I love the detail of the top windows because they brighten the entryway inside my home, yet still provide privacy. 

We also added trim to the door, similar to the windows to create symmetry and balance.  I wanted the entrance to feel grand, and the thickness of the trim achieved that. 

We added color and texture to the landscaping, which added curb appeal.  I chose two Norwegian fir topiaries and planted them in neutral pots and added red geraniums for a splash of color on the steps.  Potted plants can really warm up your porch and make it feel welcoming to your family and guests.
all photos by Ashlee Raubach


What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Nevermind the question posted before, I just found this post and it answers my questions and some more. Thanks for sharing this. It looks gorgeous, you did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What color white did you pick for the trim?

    ReplyDelete