Thursday, October 13, 2011

halloween favorites and a recipe

I love Halloween!  It's a month long celebration with parties, decorations, parades and more parties.  The festivities are coupled with long standing traditions and the changing of seasons.  I'm a little late getting my decorations out this year, but today is the day and I thought I'd share with you some fun ideas I have used in past.   


Isn't this cake cute?  I saw this image on twig and thistle and thought I would try it out for a party that we went to.  It was a hit and actually pretty easy to make.  I did a four layer cake and alternated between chocolate cake and vanilla cake dyed with orange food dye.  Alternating black and orange cakes make for amazing presentation when cut into.  The ghosts are marshmallows that I held together with toothpicks.  I cut some of the marshmallows in half and used different sizes to give each ghost its own personality.  For the eyes I used black gel frosting.  Easy right?  And so different.


This is my house all ready for Halloween.  Here's a little info on how I did it.  I went to Michaels craft store and bought all the black felt sheets they had in stock.  I was able to put 2 to 3 little bats on one sheet, but the larger bats require a full piece, so make sure to get enough.  I sketched and cut out different size templates of bats, similar to the one below.  Fold your felt in half, and place the body of the bat on the fold, trace, and cut. I wanted the bats to appear like they were coming out of a hole or cave, so I made different sizes to create that illusion.  I used duct tape to secure them on the house.  I thought it turned out pretty cute! 
allyou.com

A closer view.

image by nicole hill
This is such a cute idea!  This would be a fun gift for a teacher, grandma or neighbor or just fun on a table at a party.

Martha Stewart
This great decoration feels like fall is in the air!

martha stewart

How fun is this idea?  And super easy!


I'm leaving you with one of my favorite fall recipes, given to me by my sister-in-law who is a fabulous cook, trust me! 

Pumpkin Bread Pudding

6 cups french bread, torn into bite size peices
1 cup whipped cream
1 cup whole milk
3 eggs
15 ounce can canned pumpkin (make sure to get the 100% pumpkin, not the filling)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp each nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Whisk everything but the bread together in a large bowl.  Grease a 9x12 casserole dish and and then fill with the bread.  Pour the pumpkin mixture over the bread, making sure the bread is well coated with the mixture.  Cover and bake for 60 minutes.

Serve hot and top with homemade whipped cream.
Delicious and easy!

3 comments:

  1. I'm totally going to make that cake. It is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what?! Look at your adorable house covered in bats!! I wish I was still on the street, because I'd love to drive by that each day. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you tell me what color paint is your house in? And also the door. Love the combo and I've been looking for the right color to go with my roof, which apparently is the same color as yours. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete